Sign up to make yourself available to write notes of encouragement to specific members of our armed forces. Missions come approximately once a month. This is also how you will be notified about the Annual Medal of Honor Mail Call. This month’s mission is pasted below the sign up button:
Below is mission #39 – EXTENDED UNTIL DEC 31ST!! *Send Holiday Cards by the 20th, and send generic, encouraging cards of gratitude up until 1/5.
1: SEND CHRISTMAS CARDS TO LONELY VETS IN HOSPICE CARE!
I love hearing stories about the thousands of strangers who show up for the funeral of a veteran who had no family, but always find these stories bittersweet: their funeral was packed with thousands expressing their respect (which is beautiful), but their hospice or home – where they spent their last days – was probably empty…they never knew how much love was there for them.
Veteran’s Last Patrol’s purpose is to ensure no veteran faces their last years, months, weeks of their lives alone. They would love to deliver YOUR cards to veterans who are alone in hospice this holiday season! This is a GREAT project for your students, children, office group…everyone! Please consider sharing this mission with others. Here’s all the info you need:
- How many cards should I send? As many as you can! Veteran’s Last Patrol is currently working with about 100 veterans. The more cards each vet receives the merrier! Be creative! If you’ve got some creative students/kids – have them draw pictures too!
- I’m sending more than one card. Do I need to put postage on each individual card? No. If you’re sending more than one card, just put them all in one package or envelope and put postage on that. Feel free to put your return address on each card. You may gain a pen-pal!
- How should I address these veterans? Dear American Hero, or Dear Veteran, works!
- What should I write? Something from your heart! Thank them for their service. Tell them about yourself, and about what you’ve done with the freedom they fought for. If you’ve served tell them about that! Keep your notes cheerful and full of gratitude!!
- I already completed the Christmas card mission. What is the info I need for sending Generic Cards: Send generic cards, that will serve to brighten the day of vets in hospice at any time of the year! Great project for kids who are on Christmas Break: Draw pictures, use postcards from your state, paint something! Be creative and have fun!! Be sure to write “GENERIC” on the main package so they know to hold them for the rest of the year. Send as many as you want! Send in by 1/5/20.
Veteran’s Last Patrol attn: Holiday Drive
140B Venture Blvd, Spartanburg, SC, 29306
- Feel free to send unwrapped holiday gifts too. Here is an Amazon Wish List for you to pick from.
- VLP is currently in 11states, they can use more veteran volunteers across the country. To visit veterans who are alone and in hospice care. Click here.
- Another way to help is to designate Veteran’s Last Patrol your Amazon Smile charity, or you can donate directly here.
- Lastly, they have started a gofundme to help with postage expenses as they will be shipping these to the veterans who will be bringing them to vets in hospice care in 11 states. Here it is.
2: ATTENTION WRITERS and POETS:
I know some of you are amazing writers, some are even poets. I’m excited to share news that Blue Mountain Arts is creating a new line of cards specifically for the military community called: Salute to Heroes. They are looking for poems and sentiments from you! All information to submit your work for consideration is here or you can click the graphic below:
If you’re not a poet or writer, but know someone who would be perfect for this, pass it along!
SCHOOLS, CIVIC CLUBS, VETERANS GROUPS, CHURCHES: You can use this film to raise money for your group with a screening event!
Know a veteran / military family that could use some encouragement? Send an email.
Know others who would like to join Janine’s Team? Send them this link: http://bit.ly/1YpmLLU
Always remember: America is beautiful because of people like you – who take the time to care.